February 26, 2016 11:25 a.m.
One unit in a row of townhouses sustained damage during an early morning fire on Friday.
Fire Marshal Ray Shoufler of Douglas County Fire District No. 2 says the occupants of a unit on Carolyn Court in Roseburg called just after 4:30 a.m. to report a fire in one of the bedrooms. As they headed to the scene, fire crews could see heavy dark smoke from some distance away.
Shoufler says the residents had escaped and had alerted occupants in the other units of the townhouses before the fire crews arrived.
Ray Shoufler says the fire had already vented through the bedroom window and had breached the ceiling above the bedroom. Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire through the open window before it had a chance to spread to any of the other rooms of the home or deeper into the common attic. Additional crews arrived shortly after to help with the overhauling and cooling of the smoldering debris.
A fire investigator called to the scene determined the fire had originated on a dresser in a bedroom.