May 22, 2017 7:00 p.m.
A video of a young Oregon girl has gone viral after her mother posted it to social media warning others of the potential side effects of tick bites.
In the video, Evelyn, who appears to be between 3 to 5 years old, is struggling to stand or use her legs, feet and arms.
The family, who lives in Union County, said the child had not been feeling well for the previous 24 hours. Then when it was time to get ready for bed Evelyn was unable to put her pajamas on. Amber Lewis, the girl’s mother, took a short video of what was happening to her daughter before rushing her to a local emergency room.
Lewis said that the doctor had a startling diagnosis.
Lewis wrote in her social media post that “The doctor talked to us for a minute and said over the past 15 years he had seen about 7 or 8 children her age with identical symptoms and more than likely she had a tick.”
Doctors found a small tick hiding in Evelyn’s hair and diagnosed her with tick paralysis.
Tick paralysis occurs when an engorged or egg-laden female tick produces a neurotoxin in its salivary glands and transmits it to its host during feeding.
After removing the tick, the girl recovered quickly. Lewis said her daughter was pretty much back to herself in about 48 hours.
As of this morning Lewis’s original post with the video has been viewed over 16 million times.
Health officials warn about an increase in the number of overall ticks this season after noting a growth in their population. With better weather in the forecast and more people recreating outdoors, people are more susceptible to tick bites. Click HERE to learn more about tick prevention, detection, and treatment.