February 16, 2017 1:30 p.m.
A hot water heater in a supply room apparently led to a small fire and a lot of smoke in part of a Roseburg apartment complex early Thursday morning.
Fire Marshal Ray Shoufler of Douglas County Fire District No. 2 says that crews were dispatched to the Rose Villa Apartments in the 2500 block of Northeast Stephens just after 5:00 a.m. Shoufler says that crews found smoke showing from one of the buildings in the two story complex, with residents already evacuating that building.
Shoufler says the smoke was coming from a supply room and crews went to search the structure. While in the building, they were met by a Douglas County Sheriff’s Deputy that thought he had put out the fire with a fire extinguisher. Crews found the room and confirmed that the fire was out.
Positive pressure fans were set up to remove the smoke from the building and the residents were allowed to return to their homes in about twenty minutes.
Fire Marshal Shoufler says the building maintenance crew was advised of the issue that caused the fire.